Walk your horse up, view from the front, the side and behind
- Look at each leg individually. Does the stride length have equal distance of movement in front of the vertical and behind?
- Do the legs move straight in line with the body? (Or do they go into the centre as they lift and then come back out to the side as they land? Best viewed when walking towards you or away)
- Does the barrel swing to both sides equally? (best viewed when walking away)
- Can you see equal movement in the pelvis?
- Are the hooves being placed down or do they ‘drop’ down?
For each 'NO' answer score 2 points.
If your score is 0
YAY!!! Looks like there's no major problems to worry about.
If your score is 1-3
Things are fairly good, there's no need to panic but there's room for a little improvement.
If your score is 4-6
There's a few problems in this area. Something is out of balance and the whole system is beginning to show the strain. Doing a few of the other health checks may help you identify other areas that are feeling the pressure. If your score surprised you, it may be worth seeking further help and advice.
If your score is 7-10
There are significant problems in this area. I strongly recommend you take action. Getting help from a professional with a proven track record may be necessary to get things back on track simply and quickly. It's likely that other systems are struggling under the strain as well so I'd recommend you do some of the other health checks too.