Healthy Hoof Capsule
The hoof capsule is the outer horny structures of the hoof. There's also a health check for the internal structures.
1. Are the walls straight with little to no cracking when viewed from the side and front at least 5mm thickness when viewed from underneath?
2. Is the sole concave with good depth to the collateral grooves?
3. Is the frog wide with a thumb print indent in the middle and good height?
4. Are the bars straight from the bit that meets the wall at the heel to no more than halfway down the frog?
5. Do you have a good triangle shape at the weight bearing part of the heel (where the bar meets the wall to create the angle of the bar) and is the back of the angle of the bar level with the widest part of the frog
For each 'NO' answer score 2 points.
If your score is 0
YAY!!! Looks like there's no major problems to worry about.
If your score is 1-3
Things are fairly good, there's no need to panic but there's room for a little improvement.
If your score is 4-6
There's a few problems in this area. Something is out of balance and the whole system is beginning to show the strain. Doing a few of the other health checks may help you identify other areas that are feeling the pressure. If your score surprised you, it may be worth seeking further help and advice.
If your score is 7-10
There are significant problems in this area. I strongly recommend you take action. Getting help from a professional with a proven track record may be necessary to get things back on track simply and quickly. It's likely that other systems are struggling under the strain as well so I'd recommend you do some of the other health checks too.